Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sew On Wednesday

My BIL has been in a nursing home since Feb. The family has decided that he will not be able to come home. We did try it once and he landed back in the hospital again.

Having said that it is now time to start cleaning out the old homestead where he and his siblings, and parents lived for 70 yrs! OMG the amount of stuff. I've already appoligised to our children for the mess we might leave them!

However I was able to 'liberate' a few vintage items, hand embroidered doiles and crocheted things. One of which was this towel:
SEW ON WEDNESDAY

There are some really bad brown stains on the towel. I did wash it, soaked it in Clorox 2 but still they maybe be part of the vintage look. If anyone knows how to them out please leave me a message. I also need to find some way to hang this on my sewing room door.


I love the detail of the flower!

I'm sure my MIL made this, or maybe her mother, for my SIL. I don't know that she wants it, because I didn't know I had it when I was washing a bunch of linens. Can't think of any way to turn it into a quilt! So I guess I will show it to her and ask her if she wants it. I bet she will!

These little bird doilies are so sweet. As you can see though they have seen better days. I want to use the different sizes in a quilt. Again, I'm not sure how I will do that. Maybe it will be a light weight coverlet.




There are 2 sizes, and one is slightly different w the side flowers. I have a couple of other ones. they will lend themselves nicely to one quilt. Now who has a good idea????
These sweet little perching birds are my fav!
There are only the 2, so I am going to have to do something very special with them
There are a few of these too. I think about 4-5 total. I had two loads to wash, of linens and aprons etc.


As you can see in this close up the fabrics are different. This is a coarser linen. And one of them also is stained.

So I'm hoping to get some responses on how to incorporate them into a quilt, and maybe how to get the stains out. I think I can live with the stains though.

4 comments:

  1. What fun it was seeing all the linens. I dearly love them and have worlds. All of them are vintage from family estates, There have been bloggers with ways to clean then that has worked very well. I do not recall who they are Good luck on cleaning them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I'm here via Rednesday!

    What a treasure trove of vintage linens! And knowing the owners makes it even more wonderful! Soaking over night in Oxyclean works wonders but I have heard that adding Borax to Oxyclean works even better!

    I have seen embroidered pieces worked into quilts, pillows, aprons and curtains but I wouldn't know how to do it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great finds! The squares lin ens are easy as you already know. The rounds will need to be applied to aquares of calico..for color or white material. You won't want to lose the lovely hand-tatting so attach squares at seam of material and edging leaving as a fringe so to speak. It'll look similar to a pastel crazy quilt.Ya know those create wonderful runners and pillows too
    I am so happy you came to Rednesdau and shared your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those embroidered items are gorgeous! I love vintage linens and snap them up whenever I see them at an affordable price! But the ones from family are so much more precious, enjoy them:)

    ReplyDelete